Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Menu Planning Challenge, week three


With two weeks of meal planning under my belt, I find I am enjoying the process. Outlining what I want to cook for the week and having all the ingredients available kind of forces me to stick to the plan.

Otherwise, I might be inclined to slack off some nights and make less healthy dinners. In my opinion, half of the struggle with cooking is the daily decision-making.

Last week started off with Monday's Curried Chickpea and Tomato Linguine. I used a recipe from Best Health magazine. It was simple to make and I quite liked the curry flavour combined with the pasta.


On Tuesday, I made one of my favourite recipes: Lentils & Rice. On Wednesday, I used another recipe from Best Health: Knife and Fork Mushroom Burgers. You can find the recipe here.

These patties are made mainly with chickpeas. They are easy to form and don't fall apart like some vegetarian burgers. The magazine suggests making a yogurt sauce for them, but I made a tahini sauce instead. My picture shows my Thursday lunch. I was still using up lentils and rice from Tuesday.


I had a slight problem with my plan on Thursday. I had chosen a slow cooker recipe, which I planned to whip together in the morning, but I forgot to check my menu plan until lunch time. I went ahead with the recipe for Black Bean Sweet Potato Slow Cooker Soup anyway and put the slow cooker on high.

My kids liked this recipe the last time I made it, but that's never a guarantee they'll like it the next time. The good news is my daughter tasted it and loved it again. The boy refused to have it. There's always one.

Our Friday dinner wasn't scheduled. I ended up meeting my friend at Harvey's for a veggie burger before we went to see a movie. On Saturday, I had scheduled Spaghetti with Bok Choy, but I had forgotten we were going to a celebration that day. So, I'm thinking I have to persuade my husband to make it for his "Husband Cooking" day today. The recipe, from Vegetarian Times, can be seen here. You are supposed to serve an egg on top, but I'm sure it would be fine without.

If you have a moment, vote for Woman in Real Life in the Top 25 Vegan & Vegetarian Moms contest over at Circle of Moms. Thanks!

Here's my plan for this week:



MY MENU PLAN, WEEK Three


Monday

Vegetable Soup With Lentils

Tuesday

Taco Tuesday
This is an easy meal the kids love. See one of our past Taco Tuesdays here.

Wednesday

Pasta With Eggplant

Thursday

Garlic Noodles and Baked Tofu

Friday

Not scheduled

Saturday

Cashew Noodle Stir-fry

Sunday

Husband Cooking


20 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious, as always!

    Happy to vote for you (and discover some new veg blogs, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julee. I appreciate your vote. :)

      Delete
  2. That is too funny about your son loving it last time, and no longer being willing to try it. We're entering that stage, too. I'll go vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Laura, I have to starve them for a few hours before dinner if I want them to eat everything I make. ;)

      Thanks for voting. Very kind of you. :)

      Delete
  3. I love lentils and rice, with fried onions on top! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fried onions add a nice little touch for sure. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks good! Another Monday has arrived here and I'm without a meal plan again as last week was full of leftovers for many days... Voted for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking baby steps. I have the plan done, but I have to go get the food still tomorrow. Thanks so much for voting. I forgot to say to people, you can do it once a day -- like you have nothing better to do. ;)

      Delete
  5. We are going shopping for the week tomorrow-- ingredients for that black bean sweet potato soup are definitely going on the list. Sounds like perfect winter fare. Cast my vote for you & wish you all the luck in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the soup, Tabetha. I quite like it. It's a comforting winter food. Thanks for voting and for the wishes. :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoy the process of meal planning too. Even the grocery shopping part :)

    Your menu looks delicious! Off to vote. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill,

      Sometimes I just don't feel like doing the shopping. :(

      Thanks for voting! Jo

      Delete
  7. What a delicious sounding menu plan! I've been planning ahead on my menu too, it's helped so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthie. It is a big help...just gotta keep it up. ;)

      Delete
  8. I love chickpeas so this is making my mouth water. Off to go vote for you!!!

    If you have some free time, come check out my new thrift link up (still working out the kinks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for voting, Wendy!

      I will join your party as soon as I get back thrift shopping...very soon! ;)

      Delete
  9. Hi! Mmm the first plat looks so good! I have the same problem as u with dinners... No time so i usually cook a thai soup that my husband adores (not yellow curry in belgium too...) or, as we eat our neighbors' eggs, an ommelette, with onion, that's so easy... But in the end, not much variety...
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That pasta was tasty! Your Thai soup sounds nice! Sometimes it's hard to get in variety when you are busy. Have a great day! Joann

      Delete