Thursday, March 7, 2013

Vegan Oatmeal Jam Muffins


The kind people at Crofter’s Organic recently sent me samples of their strawberry and blueberry organic premium fruit spreads. 

Truth be told, I buy Crofter's jam all the time. I don't like nasty extra ingredients in my jam. Crofter's spreads are mostly made up of organic fruit. They are sweetened with Rainforest Alliance-certified organic cane sugar and contain one-third less sugar than standard jam. The strawberry is my absolute favourite, with chunks of tasty organic strawberries.


This new bounty of jam got me thinking about my favourite jam-filled muffin recipe. Before my daughter (who is completely addicted to jam) could eat all of the sample jam, I got to work making these muffins.



You know I have a sweet tooth, so the teaspoon of jam in the centre of each muffin gives me the hit of sweet that I crave. These delicious muffins contain heart-healthy oats. A gentle touch of nutmeg provides added flavour.




Vegan Oatmeal Jam Muffins


by Joann MacDonald
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake bread snack nut-free vegan vegetarian jam oats muffins
Ingredients (12 large muffins)
  • 1 ½ cups quick oats
  • 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk mixed with 2 tsp vinegar
  • 1 ½ cups flour (I used light spelt)
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp powdered egg replacer mixed with 2 Tbsp water
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup light olive oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • jam
Instructions

In a large bowl, stir oats and milk/vinegar mixture together and let stand for 10 minutes.

In the meantime, in a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.

To the oats mixture, add egg replacer mixture, brown sugar, oil and vanilla.

Add flour mixture to the liquids and stir just until mixed.

Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Make a small indentation in the centre of each muffin and fill with 1 tsp of jam.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.
Powered by Recipage

28 comments:

  1. Ooooh yum! Funny, my mum made some cakes like this last weekend! Reminds me of my childhood - and little Billy loved them! We don't have that brand of jam over here - sounds fantastic though. Enjoy eating your buns with a nice cuppa! J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crofter's strawberry jam is to die for, best flavour by far :) I love finding new recipes that uses jam since I rather bake with it than slather on my toast! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry -- how nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to keep a lookout for this jam. The muffins look delicious Jo. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! They're so pretty -- and delicious too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I am not eligible to win, but Jo I just wanted to say these look very delicious.

    I love Crofter's as well and prefer them for the short and readable list of ingredients.

    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. strawberry jam debbie jackson
    djackson1958 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those looks so delicious! Strawberry jam is my favorite. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite jam flavour is Raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strawberry!

    Christine Sutor

    happycatsitting@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strawberry is my favourite, but raspberry comes a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love apricot and orange marmalade!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, WiRL. My favourite jam flavour is bluberry. Thank you for this great and healthy giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love blackberry jam!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool! This looks like the perfect combination of tasty and healthy! Looking forward to trying these over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite jam flavor is raspberry.

    ReplyDelete