Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Weekend - in progress


This week's look at the weekend is a little bit different. With the Victoria Day holiday Monday tomorrow, more of the weekend is still to come. It's amazing how one extra day makes the weekend feel so much fuller and more satisfying, isn't it?

It feels like we have done so much already. We started off Saturday morning with a visit to a farmer's market, where we picked out a pot of organic basil.


No visit to the market would be complete without some fries from the chip wagon, heavily doused in ketchup.


My daughter brought her change purse. She paid for maple syrup lollipops for herself and her brother. She also picked out an iced cookie pop. I always go for the kettle corn myself. As the season marches on, we might even buy some vegetables. I suppose that's really what the farmer's market is about, huh?


We also visited a couple of garden centres to get flowers for our various baskets and pots. I like to pick out the flowers and then stand and point while my husband does the planting. I did do some industrious weed-pulling in the backyard, though, until a bird pooped on the back of my head and neck. Note to self: buy a giant sunhat.


We (and by that I mean he) also got our pot of herbs planted. We are also attempting to grow roma tomatoes in pots. I often buy roma tomatoes because a farmer once told me that they are never genetically modified. Apparently they are not profitable enough to bother with. I hope that's true.


We also went to Target yesterday and found these cute little planting kits in the entryway. They were marked down to 30 cents. Even if nothing comes of them, my girl and I had fun planting the seeds.


Last night, we celebrated the long weekend with a family sushi party. I added margaritas this time, having watched an old episode of Gossip Girl this week where Blair threw a sushi and margarita party. That's an idea I can get behind. When nobody showed up at her party, I understood why. Her personality leaves a lot to be desired. If it were me, I would have gone just for the sushi though.



Of course an extra day on the weekend generally means getting some chores done. I asked my girl to organize her stationery shelf in the pantry. She decided to rearrange the canned goods as well. Bonus.



She and her brother also spent some time playing in a neighbour's yard with friends. After such a long winter it's nice to see them out enjoying the sunshine again.



Jolene has been following us around the yard. Whenever I got a bit of land cleared of weeds yesterday, she would start sniffing the area. Sniffing is not really the right word. I imagine it was the noise that pigs would make while searching for truffles. Maybe snuffling?

I hope you have enjoyed a warm and fruitful weekend. What were the highlights?


26 comments:

  1. That looks like a perfect weekend! :-) Good score on the seed kits!

    I can hardly wait to for my local Farmer's Market to open up! There is just something about the fresh local goods that is so much better than store bought!

    I spent the first half of my long weekend out at friend's cabin - we were lucky that the rain that has lasted all weekend in the city didn't make it out to the lake! So nice to get away for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fresh local foods too. And I think there is something about shopping in the open air that lends a festive touch.

      Going to a cabin sounds nice too. :) Glad you got good weather.

      Jo

      Delete
  2. We took the kids to see "The Croods" - totally cute! Avery's first movie at the theater - he's 4! Planted some flower seeds but probably too late as it's 97 here already. Do you know if our cousin Maureen is on Pinterest? I don't do facebook but I think of her often - she's the sweetest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That movie does look cute. I'm sure we'll be watching it. :) How did he do at the theatre? My daughter couldn't sit still at that age. (Still can't.)

      I have no idea about Maureen. I'll ask my mom. Or, mom might just end up reading this. She reads posts, comments and all. :)

      Delete
  3. I bet your tub on the deck is going to be full of blooms!! I haven't bought a plant yet!!

    Those fries look scrumptious, they always taste good in those little cardboard dishes!! Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I didn't end up buying plants at all. Depends on my mood.

      I love those fries too! :)

      Delete
  4. what a perfect weekend. both our dogs snuffle. I think our cat sniffles for things...mostly to be petted though. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So snuffling is a thing then? ;) We don't have a cat anymore, but I would love to get one! Not that we need to add to the chaos...

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun and productive weekend! Those fries from Chuck Wagon look freaking amazing lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the fries!

      Fun and productive is right. Some fun, then some productivity, then fun, etc. ;)

      Delete
  6. Our beagle is a snuffler for sure. Definitely a thing. Your farmer's market looks amazing! Our tomato guy was here this weekend, so we are thrilled (I adore farm-fresh tomatoes). Can't wait to see how your garden grows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see she's in good company with her snuffling. ;) She also likes to poop in the soil I just weeded. Fun.

      I love fresh tomatoes too. They smell SO much better. :)

      Delete
  7. ahhhhh our long weekend is coming and I CAN'T WAIT!! my birthday is the 27th and we HOPE to be sanding and refinishing floors by then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you're happy, although I'm not sure I would choose to refinish floors on my birthday. ;) Good luck!

      Delete
  8. My beagle mix is a total snuffler, too! That fresh dirt must be really aromatic. Then he usually flips over and rolls around in it...*sigh*. Thanks for the info on roma tomotoes! They're already my favorite, but now I can feel good about eating them. My Mexican aunt has always told me they're the best for making salsa since they're less watery.

    Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least Jolene didn't roll in it. I'm grateful for that. ;)

      I didn't know that about the salsa. That's good information too. :)

      Have a wonderful week Heather!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful Photos!
    Yes ,this 1 Day more make the Weekend more perfect :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      A four-day weekend would be even better. ;)

      Jo

      Delete
  10. Ooh, jealous of your holiday. Looks like you guys are having a great and even productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it's just about over now, but we were productive, so we have the satisfaction of getting things done at least. :)

      Delete
  11. Ha! You got pooped on! So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be lucky right?

      It didn't feel lucky when I had to re-wash my hair and style it again. I had even curled it!

      Delete
  12. GREAT POST:)
    Your blog is so wonderful and Im now following.

    If you want some cute Swedish decor inspiration...check out my blog:)

    Have a great day dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (sweden)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Swedish decor inspiration! Thanks for coming. :)

      Delete
  13. Looks like you had a lovely weekend. It is very nice to have windows open and children outdoors once again.

    ReplyDelete