Monday, July 15, 2013

Menu Plan, 29/52


I continue to find menu planning helpful. It makes shopping and cooking easier when you know what you need to buy and how you are going to prepare it. That being said, summer calls for flexibility. Plus, the weather is steaming hot, so I don't want to be stuck at the stove for all that long.

That's why this week's menu plan is a bit of a compromise. In other words, while I have indeed created a plan for the week, it's based on easy meals with the help of some packaged foods. Monday's pizza, for example, will be prepared with pre-made pizza dough I bought at the grocery store today. I am topping it with rapini like I did here.

Taco Tuesdays are all about using whatever we have in the kitchen. We take hard and soft taco shells and stuff them with refried beans, some vegan faux ground beef, vegan cheese (or real cheese for the rest of the family), guacamole, salsa and sometimes veggies sauteed in olive oil.

This week I also purchased some falafel mix and pitas to make falafel sandwiches. This vegan, raw tzatziki sauce looks like it would make a nice topping.

I bought fake meatballs to make spaghetti and no-meatballs. Faux meatballs aren't the healthiest of foods, but they are nice for a treat now and then. On Saturday, I plan to make a stir-fry using cubed extra-firm tofu and frozen veggies on rice. The kids like a basic frozen peas and carrots mix.

How are you dealing with the heat?

MY MENU PLAN


Monday

Tuesday
Taco Tuesday

Wednesday

Falafel Sandwiches with Vegan Raw Tzatziki Sauce

Thursday

Spaghetti and No-Meatballs

Friday

Veggie Burgers and Fries

Saturday

Veggie Stir-fry with Rice

Sunday

Husband Cooking (His Choice)



Linking up with Laura and Jill:

10 comments:

  1. Oh yikes, are fake meatballs to healthy? We eat those a good bit (especially when it's cooler weather). Looks like a yummy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they aren't the worst food in the world. They are usually heavily processed soy, but they are still healthier than hot dogs. ;)

      Delete
  2. I may have already asked but do you make your own veggie burgers? They're one of my fav foods and I love trying new veg burger recipes. We love taco night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sometimes make black bean burgers or chickpea burgers, but lately we have been heating up a lot of frozen burgers Jill! :)

      Delete
  3. We are on a salad kick right now- amazing what you can put in one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get more adventurous with my salads. I tend to put the same things in them all the time.

      Delete
  4. Those pizzas look great, but I've been avoiding our oven. We've been grilling or sauteeing everything. Or just eating big salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the air conditioner going, so it's nice in here. Still, we don't want to make the air conditioner work too hard. ;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds perfect! Summer definitely calls for simplicity and flexibility!

    ReplyDelete